What makes for sustainable, profitable growth in a business?
What qualities do thriving businesses exhibit, and how can your seven-figure business adapt those same qualities to achieve your maximum potential?
As Arthur W. Jones famously said, “All organizations are perfectly designed to get the results they get.” This means that the results your business achieves are a direct result of the systems, people, and processes you have in place.
And one of the most core aspects of your organization lies in its leadership. Because your business can only grow as far as the collective leadership abilities of the members of your leadership team. That is an immutable fact; your leadership team’s effectiveness determines much about the success and growth of your organization, and as your business crosses the $1M revenue threshold it is important to begin thinking about your leadership with objectivity and intentionality. Because strong leadership is the key to sustainable, profitable growth in your business.
Our Elite Leadership Model contains four key aspects that you should be thinking about. Those four aspects are as follows:
- Setting the Vision for your company
- Building the team
- Deliver results
- Leadership attributes
You probably know by now how important I believe setting the Vision is — it’s a subject I touch on all the time exactly for that reason. However, Setting the Vision is only the first step. It’s great to know where you want to go, but you also need to know how to get there.
A strong leadership model is what separates businesses who have reached a seven-figure growth plateau and don’t know how to move beyond it from businesses that continue to grow and evolve. In short, it’s what stops stagnation and what makes a business sustainable and profitable.
Let’s go over each of the four aspects, and three activities or attributes within each that can help you get where you need to go.
Setting the Vision
Setting the Vision gives your organization guidance in where you want to go. There are three key activities that you can follow that can help you set the Vision:
- articulate a vision with, not for, the team (in a co-creative way)
- create a plan to execute your Vision
- champion the Vision through to completion
Building the Team
This step is all about ensuring that the right people are in the right roles within your organization and that your team members are able to grow and develop with those roles. To do so, you should:
- organize the work and give ownership with accountability
- assemble a winning team that puts the right people in the right roles
- do the ongoing work of growing and developing your team members
Once you know where you want to go and have the right people in place to help you get there, the next step is to actually deliver results so that you can begin making progress toward your Vision. To do so:
- using KPIs or other metrics, clearly define and show what winning looks like for your team
- create a culture of performance and make necessary adjustments along the way, so that your team members can thrive in their roles
- hit your numbers and actually deliver on the results you’re looking for
Lastly, it’s important to have leaders in your organization who can effectively lead the people who report to them to deliver results in a consistent, ongoing way. This means the leaders within your company (including you!) need to exhibit the right attributes and traits:
- they are living examples of the Values of your business and passionate about your company’s Purpose
- they genuinely care about the people they lead and demonstrate that in their interactions with the team
- they lead in a way that enrolls others in a co-creative process rather than through the old, outdated “command and control” style of leadership
This is all-important work; putting a strong Leadership Model in place has a knock-on effect throughout your organization. If you hire, lead, and fire your leaders based upon your Leadership Model, and if you do the necessary work to develop your internal leaders and give your team an opportunity to grow within the organization, you will see tremendous results.
If you’d like to learn more about the Elite Leadership Model or the crucial role leadership development can play in creating sustainable, profitable growth in your business, please contact us at www.growwithelite.com.