Business Lessons Learned
What You Will Learn:
- How Misty created More Than Just Great Dancing’s affiliate licensing program which now has 265+ affiliate studios serving more than 100,000 students per week
- Misty shares key business lessons learned while growing her affiliate business, and why your business needs a higher Purpose
- Why Misty’s focus is on teaching skills and mindset that people can take with them long after they stop taking dance lessons, and why making a lifelong impact is key
- How getting clear on the hiring and training process and baking in the organization’s Values was crucial in growing More Than Just Great Dancing
- Misty shares a story of how targeting the right change and lifting everyone on your team up can be truly transformative
- Misty shares another story of a student who took a summer job selling knives during the pandemic and explains how the company’s higher Purpose made a lasting impression
- How Misty made the jump from running a dance studio to building a company focused on licensing her methods to others, and what building that team looked like
- Why Misty’s team spends 80% of their time on “whirlwinds” and the other 20% of the time on “initiative” tasks, and how they use KPIs to measure their progress
- How Misty uses internal dashboards and coaching to help ensure that everyone is moving the needle forward in their business
- Why collaboration across the team and working toward a shared Vision for the company is the key to getting buy-in
- Why a vital business lesson learned by Misty during the growth of her business is that a leader’s job isn’t to be responsible for and capable in everything
About Misty Lown
Misty Lown is the founder, president, and energized force behind More Than Just Great Dancing® – A licensed dance studio affiliation program that has a positive impact on over 100,000 dance students around the globe each week. She is also the owner of Youth Protection Advocates in Dance – an educational company.
Her dance studio, Misty’s Dance Unlimited, founded in 1998 and named a “Top 50 Studios in the Nation” by Dance Spirit Magazine has provided $500,000 in scholarship for dancers. Misty has been a speaker for every major dance industry event and has authored over 100 industry articles.
She is a sought-after speaker and business leader. She has been recognized as “Teacher of the Year” by Eclipse, “Outstanding Businesswoman of the Year” by the YWCA and awarded the “Pope John XXIII Award for Distinguished Service” by Viterbo University, the “Philanthropy Award” from the local Red Cross, the “President’s Award” from the La Crosse Area Development Corporation and the “President’s Award” from the Association of Professional Fundraisers.
Misty is an entrepreneur and builder at heart. In addition to her dance studio and licensing program, she owns a dancewear store, self-storage business and is a managing partner in a family real estate business. She is the author of One Small Yes an Amazon #1 Bestseller that has been translated to Korean and Indonesian. Misty’s favorite part of the day is spending time with her husband and five beautiful children.
- Website: https://mistylown.com/
- More Than Just Great Dancing!® Website: https://morethanjustgreatdancing.com/
- LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/mistylown/
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/mistylownmentor
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/MoreThanJustGreatDancing
- Elite Business Health Assessment: https://growwithelite.com/health
- Email: info@GrowWithElite.com
- Website: https://growwithelite.com/
Want to listen to more? View all episodes here >